Online Resources for a Healthier You
Diet and Nutrition
- Choose My Plate The United States governmental guidelines for healthy eating. This website includes interactive planning features, including tips for accessing good nutrition while on a budget.
- Food Politics Written by full-time professor and acclaimed author Marion Nestle, this blog serves as a compilation of pieces discussing contemporary issues in the food industry, governmental food regulations, and all the politics of the production and distribution of food.
- Mayo Clinic An in-depth guide to many topics regarding nutrition and healthy eating, with expert advice.
- WebMD A health-focused compilation of recipes and food recommendations.
- NYTimes Eat Well A search engine for healthy recipes, curated by the New York Times.
- Kids Eat Right Helpful nutrition guidelines from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for all youth age groups, from babies to teens. Collect healthy recipes with the "My Recipe Box" feature!
- Kids in the Kitchen Powered by the USDA, this website introduces kids to yummy recipes with easy-to-follow instructions and videos.
- Be Active Your Way Blog Receive updates of easy-to-implement health tips backed by interesting research. From the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Exercise - Fitness Livestrong.com is a popular platform where users can learn new exercises and post updates on their fitness progress.
- HealthyMe Michigan A fitness tracker designed to empower Michigan residents to make healthy lifestyle choices. Sign up online to join a supportive fitness community of fellow Michiganders!
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Provides governmental guidelines for recommended physical activity, with information about the benefits of exercise and about choosing the right type of physical activity for your own health needs. From the Department of Health and Human Services.
- College Health A resource for young adults about keeping healthy habits while navigating college. Practical articles are accompanied by thorough research. Compiled by National Institutes of Health.
- Teen Health A health resource center for teens and their parents, with articles about staying healthy throughout adolescence. Produced by National Institutes of Health.
- Weight and Body Image for Teens A governmental resource center for information concerning body image and weight issues among adolescents.
- GirlsHealth A website just for girls! Learn about nutrition, fitness, self-esteem, and healthy development with quizzes and articles. For girls ages 10-16. Created by the Office on Women's Health.
- HealthyChildren.org A parents' guide to common children's nutrition issues, with articles covering topics from picky eaters to food allergies. From the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Administration on Aging Connect to a network of resources for older Americans. This website includes tips on creating long-term care plans, information regarding insurance, and a search engine for local programs and benefits.
- Disabilities and Fitness The National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability advocates health promotion for those with disabilities, encouraging the inclusion of organizations for disabled individuals within community health projects.
- Healthy Aging From the Mayo Clinic, a series of short, informative articles about life over 50.
- HealthyWomen An all-encompassing women's health website containing articles, videos, blog posts, forums, and free newsletter services. Also subscribe to the HealthyWomen Facebook and twitter pages!
- Womenshealth.gov A resource from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services with "A-Z Health Topics" regarding women's health.
- Pregnancy - Healthfinder Find information about having a healthy pregnancy and recovery. Includes information about expecting doctor's appointments, modifying your nutrition needs, and other preparatory steps. Sponsored by the National Health Information Center.
- Men's Health (CDC) A resource for men's health from the Center of Disease Control and Prevention. Covers general health topics, heart health, alcohol, cancer, and other information.
Active Living Research
- Active Living Research "uses evidence to prevent childhood obesity and create active communities." With topics, tools, news, and research, this site will lay out the facts and convince you that there are benefits to being active!